Friday 10 April 2015

The Vintage Girl Reviews...Jeffries Vintage Drinks

Recently I was browsing aimlessly through Twitter when a recommended page appeared on my profile and as it was tagged with 'vintage drinks' I decided to take a look.


I am so glad I did. Jeffries Vintage Drinks are a small independent beverage business based in London set up with the aim to bring back the flavours of yesteryear inspired by home brew recipes from Mr Jeffries himself! 

Available in variety of flavours, Jeffries Vintage Drinks are perfect for on-the-go and nostalgic indulgence. Bottled and handmade in London, they have a third less sugar than that of other soft drinks and as such make a perfect addition to a picnic basket or summer party. 


I selected Iced Tea, Ginger Soda and Cranberry and Pomegranate as my sample flavours and was absolutely delighted.
All bottles are presented with a colour theme for each flavour which adds a sparkle to the brand's label with vintage style font and calorie content clearly displayed underneath.


ICED TEA
There aren't many companies who produce Iced Tea in bottles, with the exception of Liptons, which, in my view is best avoided due to its high sugar content and bitter aftertaste and I must confess I was slightly concerned that Jeffries recipe would simply be another copy of this.
However I was pleasantly surprised. The Jeffries Iced Tea flavour is light with an almost floral quality and a definite hint of soft vanilla. It is a drink which I feel is best enjoyed on a warm summer's day in a long glass complete with ice and a slice of orange for a zesty twist. That said, the drink is filling without the hit of sugar commonly associated with soft drinks and the flavour lingers long after the drink is finished.



GINGER SODA
My first experience of drinking Ginger Soda in general was in the famous Farmacy soda fountain in Brooklyn, New York. having consumed several glasses of Schweppes Ginger Ale on my transatlantic flight it was difficult to taste the flavour of the Farmacy Ginger soda, and unfortunately I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.
In complete contrast to my previous tasting, Jeffries version of Ginger Soda has a flavour similar to that of Fentiman's Ginger Beer in terms of its sweetness, with the smoothness of Fever Tree. In my opinion, it would make a great addition to a summer cocktail however it is slightly too heavy to drink on its own. This is probably due to the caffeine content which causes a certain function that can cause embarrassment in some situations.
Nevertheless, the Jeffries Ginger Soda is definitely worth tasting and will be another addition to the picnic basket at the Pin Up Picnic in London this summer.



CRANBERRY AND POMEGRANATE
I will be the first to admit that I have never been a fan of Cranberry juice. For me it is too sweet to be enjoyed and as such, I left this drink til last, thinking that it would only re-confirm my attitude towards cranberry drinks in general.
Once again, I was very surprised and delighted by the flavour. Upon opening the bottle I was greeted with an almost perfume like scent of fruit which was certainly encouraging.
The cranberry flavour has been carefully balanced with the pomegranate to ensure that the drink does not taste too sweet although there is a sweetness from the natural juices which is very refreshing.
To those of you who love Pimms, this would make a lovely light punch for a non-alcoholic version. It evokes the scent of summer and I will certainly be recommending it to all my friends. If I am able to make a punch for the Pin Up picnic I will certainly be using the Jeffries Cranberry and Pomegranate as a basis.


Overall, Jeffries Vintage Drinks are a great alternative to other soft drinks which can feel heavy after consumption and are a great addition to any event. I ask the vintage community to support this little business as I believe it can do very well if given the right marketing an d support.
Don't just take my advice, try them for yourself!

The Vintage Girl x


http://www.jeffriesvintagedrinks.com/
@jeffriesdrinks

TIME TRAVEL IN A BOTTLE...
You bet!

No comments:

Post a Comment